The Silence Stages

Since 2005 I have been visiting more than 430 ancient greek and roman theatres around 18 countries, taking photographs and information. These blog is dedicated to all that experience.



Desde 2005 he visitado más de 430 teatros y odeones, griegos y romanos en 18 países, tomando fotografías y recopilando información. Este blog está dedicado a toda esta experiencia.



Wednesday 27 July 2011

Aquae Segetae Segusiavorum (Moingt)

AQUAE SEGETAE SEGUSIAVORUM (Moingt),  ancient Lugdunensis, modern France.

COORDINATES: 45º35’29.21’’N // 4º04’11.94’’E
TIPOLOGY: Gallo-Romain theatre. Not urban.
DATE: Second half I A.D.
TRANSFORMATIONS:
CAPACITY: 8.000 spectators.
CAVEA: Facing Nort-East. 84 m. diameter. It was built against slop. The curved wall that surrounded the cavea still remains. The seats were built in wood.
ORCHESTRA:
STAGE BUILDING: It was 22 x 7 m. Each side of the scene had basilica.
LOCATION: The ancient theatre is Moingt, just south of Montbrison, 65 klm. east from Lyon.
MY BEDSIDE TABLE: Sear, Frank; “Roman theatres: an architectural study”. Oxford University Press, 2006. // Ciancio Rossetto, Paola; Giuseppina Pisani Sartorio (eds); “Teatri Greci e Romani: alle origini del linguaggio rappresentato”. Rome: SEAT, 1995. // Grenier, Albert; “Manuel d’archeologie Gallo-Romain”. Paris, Éditions A. Et J. Picard, 1958. // Landes, Christian (Ed.); “Le gout du theatre a Rome et en Gaule romaine”. Musée de Lattes, 1989. // Knight, Jeremy; “Roman France. An archaeological field guide”. Gloucestershire, Tempus, 2001.




OUT OF PRINT: Some kilometers before arriving Moingt, the French police did stop my car in the highway, coming from Lyon. I supposed it was suspected my car, old and with a spanish plate without the European community stars. Seven police men inspected at the same time my belongings. They did not find anything strange so they asked me where I was going to; I answer them I was going to visit an ancient Gallo-Roman theatre in Moingt, They look themselves in a incredulous way, and told me that the Roman ancient theathre was in Lyon, not in Moingt, they returned to ask me why I was going to go to Moingt... it was difficult to convince them that a poor wall in Moingt was somewhere in time a real ancient Gallo-Roman theatre... it took time.


No comments:

Post a Comment