The Silence Stages

Since 2005 I have been visiting more than 430 ancient greek and roman theatres around 18 countries, taking photographs and information. These blog is dedicated to all that experience.



Desde 2005 he visitado más de 430 teatros y odeones, griegos y romanos en 18 países, tomando fotografías y recopilando información. Este blog está dedicado a toda esta experiencia.



Monday 18 July 2011

Pietravairano

PIETRAVAIRANO, ancient Regio IV Samnium et Sabina, modern Italy.

COORDINATES: 41º20’10.22’’N // 14º10’10.17’’E
TIPOLOGY: Samnite Theatre-Temple. Not urban.
DATE: I B.C.
TRANSFORMATIONS:
CAPACITY: 1.200 spectators.
CAVEA: Facing South-east. Carved on rock. The following is a hypothesis, result of evidences found: Maenianum: Ima cavea with 8-9 rows of seat; Media cavea with 7-8 rows of seats; Summa cavea, that was probably covered, had 4-5 row of seats.
ORCHESTRA: 11 m. diameter. Carved on rock.
STAGE BUILDING: There are some remains.
LOCATION: On San Nicola mountain, North-east of Pietravairano.
MY BEDSIDE TABLE:
http://asmvpiedimonte.altervista.org/Pietravairano/Lombardi_teatro_sannitico.htm#_ftn1    // Tosi, Giovana; “Gli edificio per spettacoli nell’Italia romana”. Roma, Quasar, 2003.



OUT OF PRINT: The ancient Theatre-temple was discovered in 2001 by Nicolino Lombardi. I visited Pietravairano´s ancient theatre two weeks ago. I arrived at the foot of Mount Nicola, at 12 am when the sun went down like lead. I hesitated between two roads, there was a nearby house and I asked in Italian to a man about what direction to take, he replied me politely, with a big smile, in perfect Spanish, the Spanish, he told me, he had taught living with Spanish emigrants in Switzerland. We exchanged smiles and I continued my path, to the disbelief of the Italian immigrant who could not believe that I was going to climb the mountain at that hot hour in the morning. It was exciting, despite the intense heat, uncover the little theater-temple Pietravairano. When I came down the mountain I found the man again, greeted him to say goodbye but he insisted to take a glass of cold water and I could not refuse it. His wife insisted on inviting me to eat, I was a bit rushed because I wanted to visit, on the same day, Rocavecchia di Pratella´s ancient theatre, lost in a nearby mountain of Pietravairano. When I realized I was sitting in front of a plate of spaghetti, sharing a table with my new friend, his wife, their daughter and her boyfriend. It was a wonderful meal, full of smiles and nice words, a meeting where one can perceive that magical twinning of the Mediterranean peoples, there is something that unites us, in joy and in adversity. Thanks my Pietravairano´s friends for all your kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment